President Charlotte was able to rejoin our ZOOM today from Abilene,  TX.  She thanked everyone for their prayers and kind thoughts as her family coped with the loss of her husband, Mike.  Mike was raised in Texas, graduated from Hardin-Simmons in Abilene, and was able to finish his life’s journey in his native state for which Charlotte is grateful.
 
There were 35 members and guests in attendance at today’s ZOOM meeting.  Included as guests were Judith Noyes from Rio Rico, Asst District Governor, Bruce Munro, and Green Valley President, Bob Auflick.   Also in attendance were Sojourners Sharon (AK), Ernie (PA), and Carol (WI).
 
Jack Grieves gave the invocation asking for an end to divisiveness.  Amen.
 
HAPPY DOLLARS
 
Bill bought a new Honda from Jim Click.
Jim’s grandson, Colton, will be home from sea duty for Thanksgiving.
Gary was able to resume his therapy dog visits to LaPosada through ZOOM.
Michele’s dog has become a regular at her side during our weekly ZOOM sessions.
Steve showed a photo of his truck and trailer which will be traveling to Malibu this week.
 
ANNOUNCEMENTS
 
The District Grant was approved for the Music Park at the Continental Community.
Valle Verde received an unexpected $500 grant from the GVR Foundation.
Phil noted the passing of Binota Banerjee on August 1.  Her husband, Kalyan, was R.I. President in 2011-12, and several Valle Verde members had the pleasure of getting to know both of them.
Tom announced a work party has been organized to clear out a locker August 7.
JP has sold all 100 Jim Click tickets and has three individual tickets left to sell.
District 5500 will be presenting a Virtual Fundraiser, Happy Hour, And Podcast.  Details in District 5500 emails and Clubrunner.  The district also has Interact Face Masks available for$2.29 each to distribute to schools and communities.
Bill said our Peace Pole will be shipped this week.
The August 13 club meeting will feature Kelly Laurich to speak about Fisher House and give a Covid-19 update.
Dick Deaver has volunteered to join Michele and Dean in preparing reports on each week’s meeting.
A ByLaw change has been proposed to include the President Elect as a Board Member.
Project Cure donations totaling $250 have been received.  Charlotte will send an email inviting anyone wanting to make a contribution to do so within the next thirty days.
Gary made a motion to purchase 100 Interact masks with $229 of the GVR Foundation grant which was seconded by Bill.  Bill suggested using $200 of the Interact budget to purchase additional masks, and Steve amended the motion to purchase 200 masks with $200 from Interact funds and the balance from the GVR Foundation grant.  A show of hands approving the motion was unanimous.
 
CLUB ASSEMBLY
 
Treasurer Ron Darrah has received quarterly dues from all but six members who have now received an invoice.  Next week Ron will have a report on Happy Dollars received as they continue to come in.
 
Mary has speakers scheduled through August and September.  One speaker prefers to present in person if that could be arranged.  
 
Jim will delay his VV Foundation report for a week or so until the Foundation Board can meet.
 
Mark had no new R.I. Foundation information to report.
 
JP & Sandy had no new membership activity to report.
 
Roxana reported Continental School will have a virtual start Monday.
 
Bill reported he is seeking ways to conduct Dress for Success in a safe small group manner either in September or October.
 
Gary’s International Service committee is working on a Global Grant to benefit the Navajo Nation.  He is looking for a person with Global Grant experience to volunteer to lead the project.
 
Bill & Sue reported  on RYLA and Interact.  Valle Verde will request reserving space for up to five RYLA attendees and one junior counselor.  Last year the cost for each attendee was $400, and the cost for this coming year is currently unknown, but it will increase.  Interact will begin having ZOOM meetings on August 17 with as yet an unknown number of students who will attend.  Bill invites club members to share ideas for this year’s Interact club.
 
Michele reported the Peace Pole ceremony will take place at Desert Meadow Park September 19.  There is no limit on the number of Rotarians attending, but masks will be required.  She suggested Rotary make a donation to Friends of Desert Meadows.
Jack & Mary Lou Have been joined by Judy Lindsey on the Birthday Books committee.
Gary, Ron, Nancy, and Sandy are planning a dinner gathering at Gary’s home in late October.
There will be a Virtual Alzheimer’s Walk October 31 to raise funds for Alzheimer’s research and treatment.
 
Steve and Paul reported on Public Relations.  They intend to invite outside attendance at ZOOM meetings through FACEBOOK.  Interested parties can request the Passcode to attend a meeting.
Steve sent an article to the publisher of Valley Friends Magazine describing the activities of the Valle Verde Rotary Club.
A subcommittee is meeting to discuss online payment options for making Happy Dollars and other donations.
There is a link on Clubrunner regarding fund raising.
 
Tom is working on achieving the Rotary Citation.
 
Mary Lou will send special greeting cards as requested by club members.
 
Jim, Steve, and Sharon reported on brainstorming for Jazz in the Desert options currently under consideration.  Jim suggested no final decision will likely be made until as late as November.
Steve described a Virtual Jazz in the Desert in which the jazz bands would  make a video performance for later viewing.  He has contacted the eight band directors to get their feedback.  Three have indicated they are willing to look at it, one said it is too early to know, and the other four have not yet gotten back to Steve.  A separate website would be created just for Jazz in the Desert.  Attendees would pay a $10 fee to watch all band videos.  The website would have all sponsors listed and all silent auction items to bid on.
Sharon described a Non Event Jazz in the Desert in which invitations would be sent describing why we are not conducting a traditional Jazz in the Desert program.  Invited guests would be given an opportunity to make a donation to support the Jazz bands as we have done in the past and to support our sponsors and participate in the silent auction.  This option eliminates the uncertainty of participation of the bands whose future is not clear at this time.  Kathleen thanked Sharon for her impressive presentation.
 
The Four Way Test concluded our meeting.